Basel Airport Car Rental: car rental deals, interesting car rental reviews and useful car rental tips! Get a discount and enjoy a great trip in Basel, Switzerland!
Get a Prestige Car Hire from Car Rental Basel Airport!
Well-organized and informative, the website AirportCarRental365.com offers car rental reviews and affordable car hire. Travelers can now pick the best holiday car hire from Basel Airport and have a great trip!
Basel is a city of great importance in Switzerland and yet in terms of tourism it is somehow underrated. The city has a lively Carnival and a beautiful medieval old town, as well as several interesting art museums. Basel has old and new architecture worth seeing including the Romanesque Münster Cathedral, the Renaissance Rathaus, and buildings of famous contemporary architects such as Richard Meier, Herzog & De Meuron, etc.
Basel is positioned in the north-western corner of Switzerland, in the Dreiländereck area also known as the three countries’ corner. The city is divided into two parts by the Rhine river. It is a gateway to the Jura Mountains in Switzerland, as well as to the nearby cities of Lucerne and Zurich. Not far away is the Black Forest of Germany and Alsace region in France.
Arriving at Basel Airport
The area of Basel is served by the EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg, which is operated by Switzerland and France together. The airport is divided into two sectors, one serving the French side and the other one serving the Swiss side. It is served by several major airlines such as Air France, Swiss, Lufthansa and British Airways. EasyJet is also building a large base there.
The airport is located only 4 km from Basel and features airport car parking, as well as airport shuttle and airport rental services since many car rental companies have their offices onsite the airport terminal. Car rental deals are also available online and in advance through the website airportcarrental365 .
Travelers further have the option to take the bus to the city of Basel.
Driving in Basel
Driving in Basel can be very pleasant, but also challenging. The city has beautiful inner streets, which however can be confusing. In addition, parking in the old city can be quite expensive. That is why the travelers should use the safe public garages in the city center that are open 24-hours a day. Here is what the drivers of automobile hire should have in mind when in Basel:
- Driving in Switzerland is on the right and the minimum driving age is 18.
- Seat belts are compulsory and the kids up to the age of 8 should be placed in an approved child seat. The kids under 12 are not allowed to seat in front.
- A valid Vignette (toll sticker) is required for driving on the autobahn.
- The speed limit for the autobahn is 120 km/h.
- Drivers should halt for pedestrians at crosswalks.
- Headlights should be used at all times.
- The mobile phones can be used only with a hands-free device.
- The snow chains are obligatory in the winter.
Things to Do & See in Basel
The city of Basel is divided in two parts by Rhine river. On the south and west bank is positioned the Great Basel which is the medieval old town, while on the north bank is situated Little Basel which features the night clubs of the city.
Travelers have many reasons to come to Basel including:
- Art | Basel – the world’s premier fair for modern classics and contemporary art
- Fasnacht – one of the most amazing carnivals in the world
- Basel Zoo – the oldest and largest zoo in Switzerland, with easy access.
- Münster and Pfalz – walk along the cobbled streets and alleys, see the Basel’s Münster Cathedral built 1019-1500 in Romanesque and Gothic style, see the Gallus portal, the figure of St. George slaying the Dragon, the St. Martin’s tower, etc.
- St. Elizabeth – being the first new Protestant church building in Basel following the Reformation.
- Marktplatz – to buy fresh fruits and vegetables, but also flowers, breads and pastries, etc.