Car Hire Switzerland
Prestige car hire by the local and international car rental companies in Switzerland! Make a car reservation in advance and enjoy the car rental deals offered for a delightful stay in the country!
The landlocked country of Switzerland is located in the heart of Europe, surrounded by Italy and France, Liechtenstein and Austria, as well as Germany. The country has temperate climate with cold and rainy winters and warm humid summers. It is known for its prosperity and fantastic mountains, for its large lakes and rolling hills. The travelers find many reasons to visit Switzerland and enjoy the country’s beauties. Despite the perfect service of the local transport network, the most comfortable way for exploring the places of interest and various sites remain the airport rentals and the quality car rental offered by the rental vehicles companies on the territory of Switzerland.
Switzerland is a very interesting country to see, as it combines three distinct cultures – German, French and Italian with the typical Swiss landscapes, all forming the specific Swiss mentality. The country has many options for sightseeing, trips in the nature, adventures on water, train journeys and skiing holidays in the mountain.
The biggest cities in Switzerland
Switzerland is divided into several cantons and has beautifully organized regions, cities, towns and villages. The settlements in Switzerland have their names in the four national languages. Travelers that decide to explore Switzerland with advantage rental car should consider these big cities worth visiting:
- Basel – that is the gateway to the German Rhineland and the French Alsace. The city features excellent museums, the world’s largest art fair; and a fantastic carnival. Automobile hire options from Basel Airport.
- Bern – this is the capital of Switzerland placed on Aare river featuring a nicely preserved old-town with arcades; great restaurants, bars and clubs.
- Bellinzona – this settlement is famous for its medieval castles, its incredible world UNESCO heritage, and as the pretty centre of the Ticino canton and Lake Maggiore nearby.
- Interlaken – that settlement is the main center for outdoor and action sports in Switzerland; where from hiking, canyoning, skydiving, bungee jumping, white-water rafting could be tried. It is also a great starting point for numerous trips to the Bernese Alps.
- Chur – this is the capital city of the Grisons canton, being the only trilingual Swiss canton. It is placed in the east-south of Switzerland and features a lovely old town being a starting point to several great ski and hiking resorts including Davos and St. Moritz, Arosa and Lenzerheide.
- St. Gallen – that is a large city in the north-eastern part of Switzerland, famous for the Abbey of St. Gall, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Geneva – this city is the centre of arts and culture and also home to more than 200 governmental and non-governmental organizations. In the center of the city is to be found the beautiful Lake Geneva. Quality car rental is available at Geneva Airport.
- Lausanne – this is a city with fantastic scenery, fabulous dining and dancing options at the great Lake Geneva providing view of the Swiss and French Alps.
- Zurich – that is the largest city of Switzerland positioned at the end of Lake Zurich. It is a center of international banking, media, culture and art and has many museums and art galleries. Get an automobile hire at Zurich Airport.
- Lucerne – that marvelous Medieval city features many historic sights and is home to the ethnic carnival, the classical summer music festival and also a base for numerous excursions into the Alps
- Lugano – that city is positioned in the Italian-spoken part of Switzerland, and has Mediterranean climate, placed on the Lugano lake.
Driving in Switzerland
The main tourist destinations in Switzerland are easily reachable by vehicle rental. Travelers that have made car reservation using the car rental deals by the local and the international car rental companies are obliged to buy Swiss motorway vignettes that can be purchased at the border or in the offices of these companies all over the country.
Car rental tips for Switzerland (insider tips)
Switzerland has the greatest driving roads not only in Europe but in the world. Yet, speeding on the highways may result in a serious fine. As the territory of the country is so diverse, the best way for the travelers to see it is by driving. That is why Switzerland has many options for holiday car hire.
Travelers that decide to drive in Switzerland should:
- have international driver’s license;
- have a minimum age of 18 years, yet car rental services are offered only to people of 21 years of age with a surcharge for young drivers below 25 years of age;
- obey the speed limits of 50 km/h in the cities; 80 km/h on the trails and roads; 120 km/h on the motorways;
- the drivers should pay a road tax when using the highways;
- the allowed blood alcohol level is 0.5 g/l
- the vehicle rental should have a vignette;
- the driving is on the right side of the road;
- the passing is on the left;
- on mountain roads car driving uphill has priority;
- during the winter the auto hire should come with winter tires.
In addition to the fantastic choice of big cities and all the sites and places of interest that deserve to be seen are:
- Grindelwald – that is a classic resort situated at the foot of the Eiger
- Spiez – that is a fabulous town with one of the loveliest bay of Europe
- Rhine Falls – that is one of the largest falls of Europe, very close to Schaffhausen
- Zermatt – a lovely and very popular mountain resort, placed at the base of Matterhorn
- The Castle of Chillon set near Montreux
- The Top of Europe and the Sphinx observatoryplaced on the 3500 metres high Jungfraujoch
- The Grande Dixence that is a 285 metres high dam, south of Sion
- The Matterhorn from the village of Zermatt
- The northern walls of the Jungfrau and Eiger being two of the most celebrated mountains in the Alps
- The Aletsch Glacier being the longest in Europe with the Aletsch wild Forest above The Rhine Falls being the largest in Europe.