Rio de Janeiro is a bustling city and one of the frequented tourist destinations for many long decades. It has the status of being the most visited city in the Southern Hemisphere, with a vibrant city centre with rich historical sites and many places of interest. When holiday makers are planning their trip to Rio de Janeiro, they are aware that a great deal of the city’s landmarks are located in the center of the city. Even so, some of the sites are far from each other and the landmarks in the other neighborhoods are also away. For that reason getting an automobile hire is highly advisable. Let’s see which sites are to be seen in Rio de Janeiro city center.
Rio De Janeiro City Centre
Often called just Centro, this is a neighborhood in the center of the city, which represents the financial, cultural and fashion heart of the city. The area has its number of residences, yet the historical buildings and the commercial centers are predominant, as well as the modern skyscrapers. Still look out for some hidden gems from the colonoal period.
The sites that deserve a visit :
- Arcos da Lapa – The Carioca Aqueduct (bridge) . Impressive colonial architecture
- Paço Imperial – the best preserved public building, once seat of the Portuguese Viceroys and the town palace of the Emperor
- Candelária Church
- Old Cathedral of Rio de Janeiro
- The modern-style Saint Sebastian’s Cathedral – to the south of Largo da Carioca
Close to Marechal Floriano Square are to be seen several buildings with Belle Époque architecture such as:
- Municipal Theatre
- National Library building
- National Museum of Fine Arts
- National Historical Museum – with historical archives, a library, works of religious art, large collections of coins and weapons
- Passeio Público – an 18th-century public garden
- Parça 15 da Novembro – place for organizing frequent markets for the sale of art and antiques. Therefrom start boat services to Niterói and the Ilha de Paquetá.
- São Francisco da Penitência
- Museu Naval e Oceanográfico
- Museum of the Image and Sound
- Museum of Naval Academy
- Monte do Carmo & Nossa Senhora do Carmo church
In the Centro zone are to be found the headquarters of some of the largest companies in Brazil such as Eletrobras, Petrobras, BNDES and Vale. Thee area is quit crowded during the week days and is more pleasant for walking on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays.
Make a car hire comparison and choose the best car hire for a great stay in Rio de Janeiro! Explore the city and enjoy your stay!