Travelers visit Rio de Janeiro for many reasons, yet the main one is the Carnival. The dance party lasts for almost two weeks and gets serious advertisement. It is known for the samba schools presentation and their street parade in the Centro neighborhood on a gigantic structure that is called Sambadrome. In order to see the street parade in the center and the other street dance celebrations in the other districts of the city, travelers should get on of the cheap car rentals available.
The History of the Carnival
The first ever celebrated Carnival in Rio de Janeiro was in year 1840, when it was organized as a masked ball. Years passed and the special costumes became a tradition, as the celebrants were choosing more and more colorful costumes. Ever since that year, the Carnival in Rio de Janeiro is considered to be the root of the Brazilian music.
It is a celebration in the tradition of the Roman Catholic religion, organized every year. During the Carnival are allowed the merry-making, as well as the consumption of red meat before the Lent period. The tradition of the Carnival parade was influenced by the celebrations held in the German and the French courts. The influence of the Brazilian drums was felt more since the first half of the 20th century.
Today the Carnival of Rio de Janeiro is very popular with the parade of the samba schools. It happens on the exhibition center sambadrome and is a street revelry in almost all parts of the city. The most famous places to see the samba schools are
- Suvaco do Cristo – this is a band of samba dancers that parades in the area of the Botanic Garden, in the zone just below the arm of the Redeemer statue.
- Cordão do Bola Preta – this is street parade in the centre of the city, one of the most traditional carnivals attended by more than half a million people in just one day.
- Banda de Ipanema – that is the most traditional band dance in Ipanema, with a serious range of revelers, families and drag queens.
- Carmelitas – this samba school band parades in Santa Teresa, a neighborhood with marvelous panoramas.
- Simpatia é Quase Amor – this is among the most popular parades in Ipanema area and the nearby beach.
The samba shows
Samba is a very interesting dance for the holiday makers and the samba shows are quite popular in the city throughout the year. Travelers are welcome to sign for the night practice sessions at the samba schools in Rio de Janeiro.
Check our website and make most of the car rental deals!