Rio de Janeiro is a marvelous city and a melting pot of cultures. It is home to more than six million people of various races which turns it into a true gem in the very center of South America. In Rio de Janeiro all people are welcome and all people can find something of their interest. That is why Rio is a great starting point for trips to Brazil with so much to see and so many attractions to be visited. As the city is of such dimensions, Rio de Janeiro is most easily explored by the available car rental coupons
Cannot get other user media. API shut down by Instagram. Sorry. Display only your media.
Rio de Janeiro Attractions
- Corcovado – that is a 710 m high hill, on the top of which is placed the famous statue of Christ the Redeemer. An important landmark, the statue is among the must see visit places in Rio de Janeiro. It reveals a delightful view towards the famous beaches of Copacabana and Ipanema, the Botanical Garden and Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas. The sights to the inland are towards Maracana Stadium. Corcovado should be visited on a clear day. At dusk are revealed marvelous views to the lights of the city.
- Sugar Loaf Mountain – along with the smaller hill Morro da Urca, they form Pao de Acucar being one of the top landmarks of the city. From the top are revealed fantastic views towards the city center, the bay, the beaches. Two hug twin peaks are a natural monument made of granite and covered with lush vegetation, where visitors can see beautiful butterflies and parrots, toucans and monkeys. The access is done by an aerial cable car and on the top are to be found several restaurants, cafes and a cinema.
- Maracana Stadium – the football fans know well that Maracana Stadium is a true landmark and the largest stadium in South America. It has been renovated for the World Cup in 2014. The stadium features a great Soccer Museum.
- Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas – this is a beautiful and very large lagoon that is placed in the heart of the South Zone. It offers great views to the beaches of Leblon, Ipanema and Corcovado. Great place for cycling and jogging, for skating and enjoying a paddle boat rides.
- Jardim Botanico – perfectly organized and very lush botanical garden, placed east of the lagoon. It is considered to be one of the most beautiful parks in Rio, huge in size, with sunny beaches, fountains, ponds with lilies, statues and of course many plants. Some of them include giant bamboo orchids, ferns, medicinal plants, cacti, etc. Beautiful creatures are also to be seen in the area such as butterflies and hummingbirds, parrots and monkeys.
- Instituto Moreira – modern white building, home to an important collection of Brazilian art, fantastic courtyard and mural. Inside is to be seen the best private collection of photography in Brazil, as well as several rich exhibitions of painting and sculpture. In addition, there is a temporary exhibition hall as well, plus cinema, library and cafeteria.
- Museu de Arte Contemporânea Niteroi – Museum of Contemporary Art, featuring temporary exhibitions of modern art. It is placed across the Guanabara Bay in the city of Niterói and can be reached by ferry or economy car rental through the the 13 km long bridge President Costa da Silva.
- Monasteiro São Bento – lovely seventeenth century Benedictine monastery with a church placed on a hill in the center of the city. It has simple exterior and extravagant interior of gold leafs.
- Bairro de Santa Teresa – romantic neighborhood that is reached with old trams. A favorite area for artists and tourists, it is a place with lovely art galleries and museums, restaurants and cafes.
These are just some of the interesting sites in the city of Rio de Janeiro. In fact, it has much more than these, so planning a stay of many days in the city is advisable.
Check the car rental deals on the website and call us today! Useful links for a trip to Rio de Janeiro: Prestige Car Hire in Rio de Janeiro | Attractions in Rio de Janeiro | The Sights of Rio de Janeiro