Car Rental Knock Airport, compare top rental companies prices and find your best deal.
Known as The Hill of the Virgin Mary, is located in the County Mayo of the Republic of Ireland. Knock is an international Catholic Pilgrimage and prayer site, bringing one and half million people there every year. It is believed that in 1879 The Virgin Mary, St. Joseph, and St. John appeared at the Knock Parish Church. This event is rumored to have been witnessed by fifteen people. Religious figures such as Pope John Paul the second and Mother Theresa have also visited this Holy site.
Arriving at Knock Airport
Ireland West Airport is relatively small and therefore very easy to navigate. The departures lounge is one side and the Arrivals hall is on the other. Shopping and dinning options are available right outside the departures lounge. Due to Ireland’s lack of rural public transport, and the fact that most attractions are off the beaten path, renting a car is the only way to see everything.
If you haven’t decided on where to rent a vehicle, airportcarrental365 is great place to book through.
Should you be unable to invest in a car for your visit there are buses and trains that leave frequently from the airport. Check timetables before you arrive.
Driving in Knock
Driving in Knock should not be a problem as long as you remember to drive on the left side of the road.
- Drive on the left side of the road.
- Petrol stations are few and far between, so fuel up every chance you get.
- Always have a map in case GPS fails.
- It’s best to pre-navigate your route.
- Most driving is in a rural area.
- Rural roads can get narrow and winding, use extreme caution.
- Keep lights on so you’ll be more visible.
- Seat Belts must be worn at all times.
- Being over the legal limit for alcohol could land you in prison.
- Vehicles on the right have the right of way.
- People already inside the roundabout have the right of way.
- Children under twelve must be in the backseat.
Things to do in Ireland
- National Shrine of Our Lady Knock– You cannot visit Knock and not go the shrine of the apparitions. Reviewed as beautiful, tranquil, and breath taking, this day trip is going to be worth visiting.
- The Old Cemetery– This is where the witnesses of the apparitions are said to be buried. As with all the older cemeteries in Ireland, it’s very interesting to walk through.
- Knock Shrine– The Basilica offers visitors a closer look at the history of Knock, and how it came to be a religious pilgrimage site.
Places to Eat in Knock
- Cafe le Cheile–Knock Museum | Knock Shrine, Knock Co. Mayo,Ireland. Located right outside the Basilica, this cafe offers a quick bite to eat, that is delicious and satisfying. Since it is part of an attraction you may experience the price of your small meal to be higher. However, you’ll be eating on the Basilica grounds, so that does make it worth the extra cost.
- The Old Ground– The Old Ground, Knock, Ireland. A quaint family owned business, The Old Ground has great food, service and atmosphere. Everything on the menu is a delight, and you’ll never be disappointed by your server. A perfect place to stop in at after a long day of sightseeing.
- Four Seasons Restaurant– Ballyhaunis Road | Knock House Hotel, Knock, Ireland. A well reviewed place to have either meal of the day. Their coffee is suppose to be really good, if you’re having a hard time finding a good cup, try here. You are served very large portions, and it is all Irish style cuisine.